Where there is a will there is a way

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Simple beauty



I just love the super chunky, strong dovetail drawers my partner Shane is making for his fishing space - and the design perspective behind them.  In comparison, all of our cupboard doors upstairs in our kitchen are falling off their hinges as they have fancy hinges and are made from chipboard which expands when wet.  An even more extreme version of what I hate is are the racks in our dishwasher.  Every part of it was designed to move or shift to be fancy, so they are always breaking!  What we have ended up with are broken falling down dish racks...with elastics or various things trying to keep them functional...I hate them.  I actually got so frustrated I planned to send the designers feedback.  Shane responded to my tirade saying I was a bratty housewife!  Amusingly the next time they broke on him he couldn’t get them back in properly and threw them across the room!  At least I lasted a year of wiring them!  Ha ha.

My point.here is that I hate overly complex designs, they are destined to break.

Enter the beauty of these chunky drawers.  Though they are dovetail, like a castle parapet fitting into each other, these are few and large.  There are no runners, they fit like slide out boxes on shelves.  These are not going to break!  Or need an expert to tinker them...I love the philosophy behind them.

Do we really need all the bells and whistles?  I prefer this, that will always work, and last a very long time, never ending up as huge piles of useless waste as they are fixable or reusable. Reachable.


No comments: