Where there is a will there is a way

Friday, November 11, 2011

Enora and the Black Crane (by Arone Raymond Meeks)

I read a very special story called Enora and the Black Crane, by Arone Meeks (Australian aboriginal artist from North Queensland area). In it, Enora and his family live and eat food from the forest. One day Enora sees a rainbow of colour travel through the forest, which he follows. The colours lead to a clearing where he sees the colour fold over cassowaries, scrub hens, lyre birds and parrots (all Australian forest birds). When he returns home, no-one believes him, so he returns and takes a sign back with him to show his family - he kills a bird. He brings the bird back - a crane, and his family is very sad. Then he himself transforms into a bird. But although he joins the birds, of every colour - his feathers remain black.

The artwork on each page is amazing, I love it. But I really love the story. I wish I could contact the artist to ask him if the story means what I think it means. I think I will.

2 comments:

Marci said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and am looking into this book for a school project (year 12). I was wondering if you did indeed contact the artist and ask him what he was trying to bring across when he wrote this story. If you could let me know what his reply was, or even how you contacted him, I would be very grateful.
Thank you.

Nonavee Dale said...

Think Adam and Eve...