Where there is a will there is a way

Saturday, April 27, 2019

How to make your own perfect beeswax wraps with Lilybee's Make Your Own wax blocks (already perfectly formulated with the tree resin and jojoba oil in it - the hard part)

Beeswax wraps! 

THE WAX

I have done this before with a class of young children, grating up pure beeswax.  They keep the air out, but are a bit brittle, and the grating method was NOT easy.  The easiest way is just to melt down the block, and then brush it onto the wraps.  Then you place a pile of the wraps in the oven at 80 degrees to further soak in.  When you hang them up, just have newspapers below!

The wax also needs the tree resin - to make it stickier, and more supple, and the jojoba oil is antibacterial as used for food.  So if you buy already formulated wax blocks the hard part is already done.  It is then just a matter of getting your fabric pieces to soak up all the wax, then hang dry.  Wax is hard to get off your stuff so use sacrificial pans and things - I saved mine in a cloth bag for next time.

Order perfect blocks from this website (or your local):

https://www.lilybeewrap.com/collections/make-your-own-wraps



THE FABRIC

I found it really fun to use my own fabric, which I cut with pinking shears.  The fabric - the thinner the better, a thin cotton - not a thick one!  I had fun writing my own sayings on them as well.  You cut the edges out with pinking shears (those zig-zag ones), so the fabric won't fray (but not essential - the wax helps alot too).  That's just the proper way...  I did invest in the shears.

Here are the photos.  This can easily be made into a creative art project if you use white, and just let your kids draw something on them...  I even experimented with a watercolour painting on one, and it did work.  


PHOTOS













QUICK SUMMARY (from my Instagram post at the time)

I just bought 2 Lilybee large make-your-own-wraps wax blocks which made it easy. 

It already has tree resin to make it sticky and not brittle and jojoba oil for antibacterial properties. 

I just melted down on stove and painted onto wraps on hot cookie tray - one one top of another ' add another paint etc - then put back in oven 80 degrees for 10 min. The only tricky bit is handling the hot sticky wraps after. Hanging them quickly before wax solidifies funny on them! 

I had also written old wise sayings on them. One my son had made did leak ink through pile I would do such creative ones separately in future. 

And don't skimp on the wax!!! #beeswaxwraps





Atop cheese! Troy's saying: NORMAL IS OVERRATED

No comments: